Frequently Asked Questions

10 Quick Tips to Protect Your Pipes
    1. Know where the main water shut off valve is.
    2 Make sure hoses are disconnected from all bibs/spigots.
    3. Insulate all pipes along outside walls.
    4. Insulate attic pipes.
    5. Get heat into the garage.
    6. Cover crawl space and vent openings with cardboard.
    7. Leave the faucet running at a drip.
    8. Open cabinets under sinks to expose plumbing to warmer air.
    9. If you have a yard hydrant, leave it running.
    10. Don't forget about vacant properties, winterize them too.  

Water Quality
    Q: Does UHWA add fluoride to the water ?
    A: No, Union Hill Water Association does not add fluoride to its water.

    Q: Does UHWA add chlorine to the water?
    A: No    

    Q: What is the "hardness" of UHWA water?
    A: UHWA has moderately hard water, 65 mg/l.

    Q: When the water gets brown or dirty due to a line break or repair, do you test to make sure it's safe to drink?
    A: We routinely test once a month. However, we always perform special testing if a problem occurs to ensure that all water is of the
        highest quality and safe to drink.

    Q: Sometimes it takes forever for the water to clear up. Why is that?
    A: Manganese, which is harmless but unattractive, will get stirred up in the line. We suggest that you run your water for approximately 10 minutes from the OUTSIDE hose spigot. If you run the water from inside the house         it could draw the manganese into the water heater which will cause a delay in the water clearing.

    Q: What causes the water to appear milky or cloudy?
    A: This is often times caused by air in the line. If this should happen, just give us a call and we'll send someone out.

Bill Payment
    Q: Can you do an automatic debit of my account for my water bill?
    A: Yes.  You will need to fill out the form under "Automatic Payment Plan" and return it to our office.

    Q: Do you offer rebates for the purchase of water efficient washing machine?
    A: With proof of purchase, we will issue a $25.00 credit on your water bill.

Street Lights
    Q: Why does my bill have a street light line item.
    A: A small percentage of Association members have an additional item on their monthly billing statement for street lights.  Puget Sound Energy bills the Association for street lights located within some residential 
         neighborhoods.  This is then passed along to members who benefit from the street lights.  PSE set up each residential development differently.  Some are billed through the homeowner's association, some through                 UHWA, and some directly by PSE.

     Q: Why is my meter being changed?
     A: Meters are changed because they have passed their life expectancy. This is an ongoing maintenance program.

Usage Calculation
    Q: How do I calculate cubic feet of water to gallons?
    A: To convert cubic feet to gallons, begin with the understanding that 1 cubic foot of water equals 7.48 gallons of water and there are 748 gallons of water in 100 cubic feet. The Association bills water in increments of
         100 cubic feet or 1 unit. Here are the steps to calculate your usage from cubic feet to gallons:
        1. Take your previous meter read (pmr) (found on your billing postcard, e-bill invoice, or online through the epay website) and subtract it from your current meter read (cmr). 
            previous read: 2750; current read 2765     
            (pmr)  2765 - (cmr)  2750 = (usage) 15 units or 1500 cubic feet
       2. You have two options here to calculate the usage:
            a. Multiply 15 units times 748 gallons = 11,220 gallons
            b. Multiply 15 units times 100 cubic feet = 1500 then multiply again by 7.48 gallons = 11,220 gallons.      

Q: My question is not listed here, what do I do now?
A: You may e-mail your questions to office manager Lauren Glaser at or you can call our office during business hours at 425-497-1812.